back to Homepage

Parish History

St. Baselios Malankara (Indian) Othodox Church, Elmont was started on Sunday , July 17, 1994 with the approval and blessing of H.G. Mathews Mar Barnabas, Metropolitian of the American Diocese. Very Rev. Dr. Samuel Cor-Episcopa was appointed as the first Vicar of the parish. Holy Eucharist and other church activities were being conducted at Corpus Christi Church Hall in Woodside, Queens, New York until 2004.

 

In May 2004 we moved to the current location of Advent Luthern Chuch, 1840 Atherton Ave, Elmont. The Church celebrated its 10th Anniversary in July 2004. In May 2011, very Rev. Dr. Varghese Plamthottam was appointed as the Vicar as the Parish and under his spiritual leadership and guidance the church is growing tremendously. Currently we have several families as members, with a total of about 150 individuals attending our services. Our regular worship service is on Sundays, starting at 7:30 A.M. with Morning Prayer and Eucharist followed by the spiritual organizations meeting such as Sunday School, Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam (Women’s Organizations) , MGOCSM (Student Movement), Prayer Group and the Choir Group.

 

Elsewhere in this website you find separate details of the spiritual organizations

 

GroupPhoto_Baselios